Sunday, May 27, 2012

Monthly ROMP ride @ Henry Coe

So yesterday was our first official outing with the Responsible Organized Mountain Peddlers or R.O.M.P.  They've recently begun trying to revitalize their group by hosting reach-out sort of events called their "Monthly ROMP" in which they organize a meetup of various ride groups to come out and ride together.  Among the groups in attendance were the Mere Mortals, BTCEB and of course SJMTB.  More than thirty people showed up in all, from all over the bay area to ride the many different rides being led by ROMP's leadership.  There was even a ride for the little ones led by Linda George, of ROMP.

Despite what people tell you about Coe, I was surprised to find that there is in fact an easy ride to be had there.  Our ride wasn't necessarily "easy", as we rode with the intermediate/advanced group, but I certainly wouldn't have called it a hard ride by any means.  The climbs were totally manageable, taking their time to get you up to the ridge.  I'm sure the views along the way would have been nothing short of breath taking, however our ride was to be a foggy one so all we saw was clouds and fog.  Of course this meant that the temps never really climbed either, which I hear can be a real problem when it comes to riding out at Coe.  Once at the top the down hill sections were where skills and caution were really needed.  The trails were fast, steep and loose with very little variance.  There were some great sections to flow, as well as some cool little creek crossings that made for some challenge (wet feet would have sucked in that weather).  All in all I'd say the ride was much better than what I had been expecting and can honestly say I look forward to riding Coe again in the near future.

The post ride spread, I think is what really sets ROMP apart from the other groups.  They really go all out to make sure there are enough snacks and drinks for everyone.  And nothing tastes better than someone else's beer.  The conversations I shared post ride were really what made the ride for me.  I met so many interesting and nice people that had nothing but great words of encouragement and appreciation for what our little group could become.  I left truly feeling inspired!  Having felt my passion wane in the last couple weeks, it was the pick me up that I really needed to remind me of exactly what I know SJMTB can become.  With all of your help and support I know we will become a great resource for not only awesome epic riding adventures but also trail and bike advocacy.  I look forward to our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment